Saturday, July 14, 2007

Oh, the horrors....

Infertility is really quite a humbling experience. I mean, it's bad enough that my body doesn't work like it's supposed to, and we've had to wait far longer than most couples to reach parenthood, not to mention the fact that it seems my doctor is now more familiar with our sex life than even my husband and I. I could go on and on....

But yesterday, it reached a whole new level - and it just struck me as funny. For those that know me - you know how easily I can be embarrassed. Well, humor is how I get through this - it may not come through in the post, but I'm going to give it my best shot. I promised myself when I started this blog that I would not hold back the details, so here it goes....

***Warning, TMI ahead - stop now if you are faint of heart or would rather not hear references to parts of the female anatomy****





Seriously.....





Ok, don't say I didn't warn you!





So, yesterday I had another EARLY appointment at my RE's office for yet ANOTHER blood test - hey, I should count my blessings, at least this one didn't include an ultrasound. I went in for them to check my progesterone (P4) level to confirm that the Femara they put me on did in fact work, and that I did ovulate. (Got at A in this department - I DID IT!!!!).

Yesterday afternoon, my nurse (Carla - the BEST nurse ever) called me to give me the results. I had stepped away from my cell phone for a quick meeting and missed her call, so she left everything on my voice mail. She said "I got your results back, and you did ovulate. So, since you mentioned spotting this morning, Dr. Bates wants you to start Progesterone supplements. I'll call the prescription in to your pharmacy and you need to pick it up tonight, you'll take it twice a day, in the morning and in the evening. You need to take it vaginally - the supplements look like peanut m&m's and you need to insert vaginally, as far as possible. Give me a call if you have any questions. You'll stay on this until your pregnancy test next Friday, and if positive you'll continue for 4 more weeks, if not, then you'll stop taking them and start your next cycle."

Ok, that was just about the oddest thing you'll ever hear on voice mail. I'm actually kind of glad she called when I couldn't take the call. In my office, people are in and out constantly - I couldn't imagine discussing this with her with people coming in and out.

Well, I leave to go home and stop by CVS on the way to pick up my "M&M pills". Of course, when I got there, it wasn't ready so I had to wait. I can see the pharmacists from where I sit while they're working and notice one of them call another over to ask her opinion on the prescription he was filling. They both discussed in low voices for a few minutes and kind of shrugged and went about their business. Turns out they were filling my prescription. So, they call my name that my prescription has been filled and I go up to the counter where the clerk is checking me out. I pay, and he says "as soon as the pharmacist comes over to talk with you, we can give you your prescription" - I've noticed lately that CVS is really cracking down on counseling when giving you a new prescription, and as many as I've had to fill lately, this is nothing new. So, I wait for him to come over and ask if I had any questions so he can give me my magical bottle of M&M's and I can be on my way. I've had this pharmacist fill my prescriptions before - he's super nice - a very grandfatherly type of guy. Well, he comes over, reads the prescription again, stutters a bit and then finally says "Can you read the directions on this and tell me if they make sense to YOU because they don't to me". So, I read, and the instructions say, "take vaginally twice a day as directed" I kind of look at him funny and say "Yeah, makes sense". Then, he says "Really? I asked everyone here and they'd never even HEARD of that, but as long as this is what your doctor told you, then ok."

I was so proud that I'm finally to the point that I don't even blush anymore. But that poor pharmacist - I bet his face glowed for the next hour, he was so embarrassed.

Kevin and I laughed all evening over this - it so nice that someone else got to be uncomfortable for once. :-)

5 comments:

Kevin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kevin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kevin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kevin said...

Sorry for the deleted comments. Needless to say, this post is a joke goldmine but none very appropriate.

But, seriously. Yay! The positive ovulation was the best news we had heard in a long time and a definite great step in our process. We both have fingers crossed that this cycle will be the one but even if it isn't it's good to see something clearly wrong that has been clearly fixed and is now clearly right.

And, yeah, I did a double take when I saw the instructions too. I thought for sure they got it wrong.

Cassondra said...

Honestly, who wants to swallow a pill the size of a peanut M&M. Seems like it'd be a choking hazard to me.

Really it seems to me like this isn't that odd of a thing at all. My mom was on vaginal progesterone through part of menapause. Is it really so rare that a grandfatherly pharmacist has never heard of it before? I mean he must stock the medicine for SOME reason.